During the winter months the Regiment remained in Warren. Early on in the year Col. Angell recorded, "I furnished my Regt today with their new hatts all bound and they mae a grand appearance an the Parade being as well cloathed as any troops in the Servis." Although well clothed the soldiers received no pay and little food. This, accompanied by the temptation of nearby homes and families, incited the men to mutiny under arms on several occasions during the year.

On the 23rd of April most of the Regiment mutinied under arms along with the camp guard and one of the state artillery companies. The mutineers marched to Providence for redress but General Glover caught up with them along the way and persuaded them to turn back. The men were promised that pay would be issued by May 1st. Besides conducting mutinies the Regiment also spent much time on various shore guard duties around the Bristol area as the British were sending parties out to forage for cattle from nearby farms.

In June the 2nd R.I. left Warren and sailed for Updikes Newtown (Wickford) on the west side of the Bay. Camp was made on Barber Heights which allowed a plain view of enemy movements in Newport. Sentries were also positioned along the coast from the camp south to Point Judith.

The 4th of July was observed in camp with a feu-de-joie (fire of joy). At noon that day each Regimental camp around the Bay fired 13 rounds. Camps were in Tiverton, North Kingston, Warwick Neck, Pawtuxet and at Fox Point. On the 8th guns fired again but this time they were the alarm guns in Warwick. A party of British landed at Quidnesset and plundered a farm. The perpetrators escaped after raising alarm in the area. Upon the arrival of news of General Wayne's victory at Stoney Point, NY the Reg't celebrated with a feu-de-joie on the 21st.

A few days later the Sergeants continued the uneasy feeling within the Regiment by a small conspiracy. Col. Angell described it this way: "...in the afternoon had the Mortification to finde that Two thirds of the Sergts in the Regt had conspired togeather and ript the bindings of their hatts Contrary to orders I issued an order for them to put them on by next morning by guard mounting or they should be reduced to the ranks with out the formality of a Court Martial and tried for a willful Disobedience of orders." The following day Angell wrote, "This morning by Eight oclock the Sergts had all their bindings on."

Later that month the Regiment again mutinied. This time the men marched to East Greenwich to free a man from prison. After this was accomplished the men returned to camp and were later pardoned. During this period Col. Angell was rarely with the Regiment. Often he could be found visiting with friends or occasionally arranging supplies for the men.

In late August the British started their evacuation of Newport. Many ships were regularly seen sailing into the harbor to remove the supplies that had accumulated over four years of occupation.

On September 6th the 2nd Rhode Island marched with packs on for Hunt's Tavern which was eight miles north of camp. At the tavern the Reg't was reviewed by Baron von Steuben. Steuben reported that "this regiment is one of the new establishment, the companies nearly equal, an in general in good order, and can form a battalion of the line."

The following month the Regiment continued their shore guard and conducted a raid on Dutch Island. To celebrate the victory at Fort Mercer two years earlier, the men burned an effigy of Count Donop and raised a liberty pole of nearly 80 feet tall. With the departure of the British from Newport on the 25th the Regiment sailed over and occupied the town. They found that all the supplies were either taken or burned and that the orchards and batteries had been destroyed.

The 1st R.I. Reg't was ordered to remain in Newport in case of a British attempt to return. With the departure of the British a large Continental force was no longer needed in Rhode Island thus the 2nd was ordered to march westward to join the main army in winter camp at Morristown, N.J. Blue coats and other supplies were issued for the march. By early November the Regiment broke camp and left Rhode Island, not to return for another four years.

While on the march to Morristown, a thief was uncovered in the Regiment. Col. Angell recorded the circumstances, "Serjt Hoight brought a very handsom patch Gound to my Quarters which he had taken from one Mrs Thomas a soldiers wife in the Regiment which She had Stolen from a women (Waity Brown) at Updikes Newtown in the State of Rhode Island. I took the Gound in order to Sent it to the owner and ordered all the Drums and fifes to parade and Drum her out of the Reg't. with a paper pind to her back, with these words in Cappital letters, A THIEF, thus She went off with Musick."

The 2nd Rhode Island arrived at Morristown in mid December. The site that was to hold the Regiment was found to be unacceptable as the New York Brigade had taken all the wood that would have been used to build huts. The 2nd R.I. moved another mile into the woods and set to building their winter camp which took a month to complete.

To return to the Chronology of 2nd RIR.
last modified 1/20/03